Wednesday, June 10, 2015

New Poem-5 Senses of Migraine Auras

Hello, readers. Here is the poem I promised about my migraine auras. While you will probably get the idea from the poem, for those of you who don't know, an aura is when a patient experiences a strange sensation of some part before or during a neurological phenomenon, typically a migraine or seizure. These auras can include lights, sensitivity to sound, and well...my poem includes others as well. I only recently learned that it is rare for someone to experience auras in all five senses in a short period of time, so I though I would write a poem about what these five sense auras are like. I also have experienced other aura related symptoms not include here, such as memory loss, aphasia (difficulty remembering words/language), and loss of balance. I hope you enjoy this poem. 

5 Senses of Migraine Auras
By: Blog Admin

My throat prickles with
dryness, but I narrow
my eyes at the five feet of linoleum
between my chair and the sink. The
pain –my migraine—twists, a
chain coiled around my head.

I glance at the sink, but instead of
seeing muted steel, the sink shimmers with yellow
and green. A couple blinks, a shake of my
head, and the pain slices above my
left eye,  the lights dancing
in rhythm to the pain.


I push through the haze, and walk, pulling
 against the migraine, eyes closed. I grip
a cup, but instead of skin
on plastic, I feel a current of icy sparks
rippling
beneath my fingertips.

Fingers tingling, world shimmering, I turn on
the faucets, but instead of a duet
of water and steel, I hear
each water droplet ring
through the air, the bullets
of sound ripping
through my brain.

I do not even blink when the water,
instead of feeling crisp
and cool, tastes of burnt
toast, or when the stench of
 Formaldehyde rolls
over me.

I gulp the water, set down the cup, and massage
my tingling fingertips. My brother enters, glances
 at my hands, and dials up the thermostat
with a click.
He sniffs the air.

“Isn’t it great in here? I love the scent of baking bread.”
I smile and nod, the green lights surrounding my brother
flickering, as if in agreement.


No comments:

Post a Comment