Monday, January 26, 2015

Lessons-Poem

Lessons
By: Leah A. (Blog Admin)

My migraines have taught me what it means
To have pain that stabs and twists at every sudden noise, every bright light,
                                                                                       
And they have shown me the beauty of those rare pain-free days
When energy radiates through me like sunlight.


They have taught me the feeling of despair that clutches my heart
As I sit, ice packs strapped to my head, typing an essay through a deluge of pain,

And they have shown me that, even when fatigue saps my body
My heart glows with more strength, with more perseverance, than I know.

They have taught me how it feels when the faces of friends contort in disbelief
Shaking their heads, refusing to believe in a disorder they cannot see,

And they have taught me the beauty of empathy glowing in another’s eyes,
Warming my heart with its gentle support.

And most of all, my migraines have taught me
That, sometimes, in the darkness of pain

Each flicker of hope, each glimmer of strength
Burns all the brighter through the gloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment