Friday, July 10, 2015

New Poem-Migraine "Super Powers" (Quotes are intentional)

Dear readers, if you enjoy a strange sense of humor in the face of pain, maybe you will enjoy this poem. I'll write a bit of a blog post with it, as always, but I think I will do so after the poem this time, so scroll down if interested. As always, click "read more" for the full poem.

Migraine “Super Powers”
By: Blog Admin
If you locked me in cellar, where
my eyes would strain through darkness
and my ears would hear only the hum
of air conditioning and the rasp of my
own breath, I could not escape.

I could not conjure magic to glove my hands
in flames so my bonds would fall
to the ground as ashes. I could not
punch the door, with a fist of iron, sending
splinters showering the ground,

but I could tell you if it was raining outside.

The barometric pressure
would grab hold of the slicing pain in my head,  expanding it
until it ached and  fizzed, as if someone
flooded my head with carbonated soda.

I would grin at my weather-predicting skills.
Of course, I would remain trapped in the darkness.

If you sent me on a secret mission
past a room riddled with heat sensing laser beams
into another with a pool of sharks in place of
a floor, I could not complete it.

 I could not flip and
pirouette past the lasers,
or  block them with a compact mirror, sending
them ricocheting back to their
source with a blast of smoke. I could not sooth the sharks
with a serenade to make them close their snapping
jaws and sway in a silent water dance,

but I could tell you which room has
a light that flickers faster.

Though human eyes cannot separate
the blinks, which blur into one bulb of light,
my headache would buzz and flicker like the
slow light itself as I passed beneath it,
the pain wavering between
stabbing and pulsing.

The mission would fail, but I could point,
with a trembling hand, to the weaker light.

If you piled the table full with
pastries and injected poison
into their doughy veins, I could not detect it.

I could not lift each pastry to my nose and scent
a bitter twinge, like saur-kraut, mingling
with the scent of sugar or run my fingers
over the food and know, from a sudden crackle
of magical energy on my fingertips, that poison
lurked in them,

but I could tell you which pastries contained sugar
and which ones had artificial sweeteners.

 While others would gulp down the pastry and saunter
away, thinking they ate only sugar, my headache
 would gorge on the chemical sweetener, biting
and twisting in my brain the way that only my
chemical-induced migraines do.

I would pump my fist in triumph,
glowing with my knowledge of sweeteners.

Of course, I may still drop dead of poison.

Brief Blog Post:

Dear readers, I've never been very good at writing humorously, but I thought I would try for some dark humor this time by detailing the various useless "super powers" that I have as a person with constant headaches/migraines. The things I can do with my migraines described above are all real. Actually, I can do other useless things not described in my poem, such as "feeling" the vibrations of someone speaking as well as hearing them (that one is hard to describe though). I actually found this poem one of my most therapeutic so far, as it helped me view my situation a bit more comically, which was good for me, as I have been recently struggling with the fact that I am quickly running out of treatment options. Laughter can be a very important way of coping with pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment