Sunday, February 15, 2015

New Poem-Happiness

Happiness
By: Leah A. (Blog Admin)
A dull ache throbs in the back of my skull
As I gaze at a sunrise. The drowsy prairie
glows in hues of rose and violet.
Absentmindedly, I massage my aching skull,
And I smile.

How should I measure my happiness?

Should I measure it in the number
Of throbs that shoot in my head per minute,
Or the paltry number of days when I do not have pain?

Should I measure it according to items scrawled on a crumpled piece of paper--
A list, which I made years ago, of the things my migraines forbid me to do?
Or, should I measure it in the number

Of tears that have slid down my cheeks
Or the number of weeks the same migraine has bitten into my brain?

Perhaps.
But I would rather measure my happiness in the laughs that escaped me
When my friends and I talked for hours, until the sunlight
Faded into dusk.

I would rather measure it
In the number of robins flitting through trees,
In the feel of my fingers stroking the ivory keys of a piano,
In home cooked chicken and the hugs my parents have given me.

My head pulses with pain again,
And a gust of wind rearranges the clouds,
which glow with golden light.

I grin. I’d rather measure happiness in sunrises.

No comments:

Post a Comment